Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Home at last...

Well, we made it home on Monday night around 9:30pm. We were all very tired and ready to be at home. We stopped at the pharmacy down the street from us to fill my prescriptions. But alas, it was not to be. One of my meds was too strong for the local pharmacies to have on hand and they were all about to close at 10pm. We needed the medicine for that night so we called MD Anderson and found out that we could fill the script at the Emergency room pharmacy. So at 10pm, Jeff and I headed back to MD to get the script filled. We finally made it back home for good at 12:40am and went to bed. Jeff went back to work Tuesday morning, so my mom was left to take care of me. It was an ok day. I was super tired all day, I guess catching on sleep I didn't get at the hospital. Plus, the pain meds make you sleepy too. I also was having problems with nausea and vomiting, and not eating very much. We weren't sure what the problem was, cause I was taking my no puking meds from chemo so they should have worked. My pain was not entirely under control, either. This morning I called my nurse practitioner and switched my meds up a bit and that seemed to help. But I am still feeling sick to my stomach. We kinda figured out that it may be due to my low blood pressure, which I have had since chemo. I had it during this hospital stay and they were concerned about it. They would ask if I was dizzy or nauseous when I got up and walked around. At the time, I wasn't, but that is exactly what's happening now. I will be fine, then get up to walk around like I'm supposed to, then feel nauseous and have to lay down. I will call the nurse practitioner again tomorrow to see if we can fix this somehow. Very frustrating. Everyone else seems to have problems with high blood pressure, but not me, I have to again, have the weird thing that no one knows what to do with. I don't know of any "pill" you can take to make your blood pressure go up. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. I'm not going to get any better lying around in bed all day and not eating anything. So hopefully we'll get some answers tomorrow. I gotta go to bed now, try to keep you updated tomorrow.

3 comments:

Dee Ann said...

Lauri, I have a whole list of things that make *my* blood pressure go up but I may have to loan you the sailboat or the green 1966 Buick Riviera for it to work. But wait, you have the Camero. Dwell on all the things Jeff wants to do to it and how much it will cost and maybe your blood pressure will go up! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lauri! My dad has a problem with low blood pressure. It's affecting his eyesight, so the doctor told him to just put extra salt on everything. The salt might help with the nausea, too, I always drink a bottle of Gatorade when I'm sick. I hope you feel better soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Lauri, when I was about your age I also had a problem with low blood pressure. I took B12 shots twice a week and the doctor told me to drink a glass of red wine every day - did I mention that he was one of my favorite doctors. While I don't recommend that you drink wine with your pain meds, I can tell you that it worked for me. Perhaps you could check with your doctor and see if extra B12 would help you.