Friday, August 10, 2007

She will (did) have a Blood Transfusion...

We just got back from a very long day at MD Anderson. As Lauri mentioned yesterday, we had to go in this morning to have her blood work done again. The results came back well below the threshold for a blood transfusion. For those interested, the white blood cell count was 0.2, Hemoglobin was 6.6 (considered critical), and Platelet count was 5,000 (also critically low). We had the results of the blood work by 11:00am, and orders for 2 units of red blood cells and 6 units of platelets were put in immediately.

They first did a "type and cross" on Lauri (another blood test, second of the morning) to determine her blood type and match it to their inventory in the blood bank. The results of the type and cross took about 2 hours, followed by a 3 hour wait to get into the blood transfusion unit. We decided to wait to be worked in because our appointment was set for 7:00pm, which was later than we wanted to stick around. Once we finally got in, it took about 6 hours to infuse the blood. We finally left MD Anderson at around 10:00pm.

Lauri is feeling much better now, but must return for blood tests for the next four days. We had never done a blood transfusion before, so we learned a lot. We found that MD Anderson has a critical shortage of O+, both whole blood and platelets. O+ is the universal donor, meaning everyone can receive O+ blood. However, those who have a blood type of O+ can ONLY receive O+ blood. Lauri is O+. The shortage is so critical that they are turning away people who need blood. We weren't turned away, though. In fact, the nurses were surprised we got as much O+ blood as we got. Sounds like our Oncologists have some pull... Lauri thinks it is because she was "just that critical..." I'm sticking with the "our doctors are the best, better than yours..." cuz it makes me feel better...

I have no idea what my blood type is, but I went ahead and donated blood anyway, since it sounded like they needed it. They were happy to oblige, and even gave me a free T-shirt! (My sister would be thrilled...) They also give you $5 off your parking if you donate at MD Anderson. (I am thrilled...)

Anyway, off to bed, then back to MD Anderson. Have a good night!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you get to sleep well tonight. I am up looking for the Perseid Shower (thought I might get an early peek). Sunday night at midnight to 1:00 a.m. is going to be best. So, get your zzz's in so you two can stargaze! MizB

Mike said...

My blood type is A-, but you've inspired me to be more proactive with my blood donating! We're thinking about you guys a lot!

Mike

Melissa said...

Hey I hope the new juice is making you feel better! :) I sent out a massive email to everyone I know to donate...I know I have some O-positive friends as well...

2 Corinthians 12:9

Kristi and Chance said...

Lauri - I hope that you are feeling better today. I am A- as well, but will donate next time the carts are on campus. Keep us posted with updates!! Kristi

Anonymous said...

Lauri, I am Melissa's friend. :) I have O+ blood and will gladly donate if you need some more. I have a phobia of needlles, though... So I would do it just for you!! :) Just e-mail me from my blog or ask Melissa for my number and I'll help you out in a flash!

Praying for you! Your new friend, Desiree

Anonymous said...

Hi Lauri,
Clayton and I are thinkin' of you... hope you are feeling better after the transfusion

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! I just wanted to let you know that I am also "O-Positive" and I am willing to make a speedy trip to Houston if you need a boost. I mean what good is family if they are not willing to give up a little blood for one of their own. Lauri, I hope you are feeling better by the time you see this.
Love You,
Aunt Linda