Wednesday, April 8, 2009

12 week appointment with High Risk Doctor

Today I had my first appointment with my high risk doctor. I really like him. For starters, he is a former NICU nurse, so I think he will remember me pretty well! ;) We went straight into an ultrasound room and the tech immediately started the scan. They will record a DVD of the entire ultrasound for you for the low cost of $20. But she warned us since we're still kinda early, there wouldn't be much to see. We kinda said, ok, I guess we'll wait till the next time to get one (they have to know at the beginning of the scan so they can record it from the beginning). She took one look at the baby and said, Oh, this baby is too cute not to record this! I'll just let you have it and you just put it in your purse. We were like, Great! We'll take a free dvd. She scanned me for over 10 minutes, really looking and taking pictures along the way. It really looks like a baby now. A far difference from 4 weeks ago when it looked like a gummy bear. You can see fingers, the nose, heart, stomach, bladder, feet, arms, legs, etc. They look at the neck to see if the baby looks like it will have down's syndrome. The skin was thin, so that is a good sign. She also gave us her best guess as to what the sex was. Then the doctor came in and looked at the pictures. He said everything looks really good and he also gave us his best guess as to what the sex is. Funny thing is, they both said one thing, then during the process of the scan, they both changed their minds and said it was the other gender. So now we have an idea, but it could possibly change. But all in all, it was a great appointment and we got some great pictures. I will see him again in 6 weeks. I will see my regular OB tomorrow. Here are the pics we got today:









Foot:



Alien shot:








After looking at these, can you guess what the sex is? I'll give you a hint, the 6th picture is the one you need to scrutinize. Have fun!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures. It is so amazing to me that at 12 weeks you can see so many features of the baby. I mean, how big can the baby be at this stage - just a few inches at best? Technology is great. Glad you and the baby are doing well. Praise God! Mama

ACQ said...

My guess is boy, but I think any healthy baby looks great! :D

Amanda said...

I'm guessing boy b/c it's a side view. They could tell Emilie was a girl from the "bottom up" view. But who knows? Isn't it amazing what science can do? And it will only get better - Emilie's ultrasound pics at 32 weeks really look her at birth.

Kasuen said...

I was thinking "girl"... but then after your hint... now I'm thinking "boy". This is so exciting!!! :) See you guys soon!

Traci said...

I'm guessing boy but still hoping for a girl for Emilie and Emma. :)

Melissa said...

Awww, I'm not going to guess, but I think technology is amazing that we get to see stuff like this :)