Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Baby Update

Just a quick update on the plan so far. Since we are going to have to induce the baby, more than likely before he is "finished cooking" I want to take every precaution I can to make sure he is as healthy as he can be so he doesn't wind up in the NICU. White males have a reputation in the NICU, we call them "wimpy, white boys" and tend to need a little extra help the earlier they are. So to try to prevent this, I am going to get some steroid shots to boost his lung maturity. I will get these around 33 weeks. This will give plenty of time for them to kick in. I have a ct scan scheduled at MD Anderson for Sept. 14 (I'll be 34 weeks then), with Dr appointments the following day to discuss results and surgery. The outcome of the ct scan determines if we need to press for delivery sooner rather than later, or we can wait on surgery until around mid October. We plan on doing an amnio around 36weeks to see if his lungs are mature and possibly deliver then if his lungs are mature, or if not, wait until I am 37 weeks. Clear as mud? :) The only other kink in this plan is that currently, the baby is breech, which means butt first. Not exactly the position we need him to be in. But he has time to turn and we are praying he figures it out and does it on his own soon! If he is still breech when we need to deliver, I will have to have a c-section, which is not ideal since I'm having another major surgery 1-2 weeks after delivery. So we are REALLY hoping he turns! But no matter what way he decides to come is fine with us. We will work around him. We are getting really excited and I know these next weeks will fly by. He'll be here before we know it!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Turn! Turn! Turn! :)

Erin said...

My sister was breech and she turned out fine... I think ;)

Unknown said...

i was just going to say, i was butt first and delivered naturally! and i'm somewhat normal ;) i guess docs have changed the rules! best of luck to you, i hope he turns!