Monday, March 3, 2008

Operation Beaver

I know it's been awhile since I have posted anything, but I guess there hasn't been much to post about. I've been trying to get things together for Carrie's shower and that's coming along fine. But this past weekend we went back to Louisiana for what we called "Operation Beaver". My best friend of 23 years was getting an award from the Boy Scouts called the Silver Beaver. It's an award given to 10 people a year in the council for their dedication and volunteer work in the Boy Scouts. They had a banquet to honor her and 9 other recipients on Saturday night in Baton Rouge. I wanted to go and surprise her at the banquet, so I called up an old friend and got hooked up with 3 tickets, one for me, one for Jeff and one for my "ex-step dad", who is best friends with Michelle's dad and knows her very well, and is also very involved in scouts. So "Papa" flew in from Colorado to Houston on Thursday afternoon and then the three of us drove to Baton Rouge on Friday. This was an adventure all in itself. Usually, it takes us about 5 hours to get to my sister's house. We left our house on Friday at 1:30. We finally pulled in to my sister's driveway at 10pm!!!! The traffic was horrendous. We got off I-10 twice to try and get out of the traffic. We are guessing it was due to construction, but we were pretty much stoppedon the interstate and not moving. It was terrible. Anyway, we finally got there. On Saturday we had a crawfish boil at my sister's house. A bunch of people came over and we ate very yummy crawfish! Saturday night was the banquet, so we got cleaned up and headed over to the church. I was still hoping she had no idea we were coming. We got to the church and no Michelle. She showed up "fashionably" late of course. She opened the doors and there we were! She was very surprised! We had a good time visiting with old friends and catching up on the latest news. Sunday we ate lunch with my mom and then left for home. And guess what? NO traffic! This means people need to come visit us more so we don't have to get stuck in horrible traffic! I think that's fair. All in all, Operation Beaver was a success and we had a great time.

Here is a link to the pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeffery.mauldin/OperationSilverBeaver

No comments: