Tuesday, September 15, 2009

MD Anderson Update

I had my 6 week follow up CT scan yesterday and today Jeff and I met with my oncologist for the results. The good news is there is still only the one tumor. Nothing new that they can see so far. The other news is that is slightly bigger than before, but still manageable with surgery. So the plan is (according to us and oncologist) to induce at 37 weeks (which would be Sept 30, with the assumption that I would have him on Oct. 1) and then have surgery sometime following that. We are waiting on the surgeon's team to schedule my pulmonary function tests (which are required before each surgery) and a surgery date based on delivery date of Oct. 1. So we are guessing sometime in mid-October that I would be having surgery. That's about all the news we have so far. I meet with my regular OB tomorrow afternoon and we'll discuss this plan with her and see if she is on board with it. I currently have an amniocentesis scheduled for next Wednesday to check for the baby's lung maturity, (with the assumption that if his lungs were ready, we would induce that day-36 weeks) but not sure if that's still necessary if we are going to wait an additional week to induce. I will find out tomorrow. I did get my steroid shots at 33 weeks to boost his lung maturity, so I feel confident that his lungs will be ready for an induction at 37 weeks. Oncologist and Jeff and I are thinking a week more inside will do a lot more for baby, then getting me a week closer to surgery. So that's the game plan so far. Will update when we know more.

2 comments:

AudreyElla2008 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AudreyElla2008 said...

Sorry for some reason it deleted what I wrote before. But how exciting! You both will make great parents! It's the greatest feeling in the world! You will wonder what you ever did before he came into your lives! We wish you best of luck! We will keep you in our prayers!

Love,

Jordan, Stacy, & Audrey