Sunday, August 3, 2008

Garden Woes

So most of you know that I planted a small pot/container garden this year. I have some tomatoe plants, banana peppers, jalapenos, green bell peppers and chives. The garden has been growing ok for me. I've had great success with my banana peppers and gotten a few veggies off the other plants. I've been having trouble with one jalapeno plant. Seems these nasty, fat green horned catepillers like the spicy plant. I've killed about 5 of them off this one plant. They hadn't touched my tomatoes or the banana peppers, just the one jalapeno plant. Until the other day. I looked at my garden on Wednesday and had about 5-6 banana peppers that were almost ready to pick. I was going to give them a few more days to get a little bit bigger. I went to check on them on Friday night (it was evening, so getting dark out) and noticed that my banana peppers were all gone! Looks like someone/something plucked them off with their teeth! I thought that a bird had gotten to them and was thinking that Maggie was a poor watchdog if she let the birds eat all my peppers! So Saturday morning I got up and went to see the plant in the daylight and noticed that not only were the peppers gone, all of the leaves were gone as well! And then I found the vandalizer- The biggest green catepiller I have found yet! I promptly removed him and killed him so he couldn't destroy any more of my plants. I'm hoping it can recover, but I'm not too sure. We'll see. Here are the pictures from the rest of the garden:



Anyway, the rest of the garden is plugging along slowly but surely. I'll keep you posted on it.

No comments: