Friday, August 22, 2008

Furniture woes

So as you all know, we ordered some new furniture a couple of weeks ago. Everything was delivered on Thursday, August 7, except our chest of drawers, which is on back order. We got the china cabinet in and everything looks great. Except when the delivery guys came with the china cabinet, they failed to remove all of what they call "gliders" off the bottoms of the two pieces. These gliders are small plastic discs nailed into the bottom of the top piece and the bottom of the bottom piece so you can move them into place without scratching anything. Since only half of these were removed, the top and bottom pieces didn't sit flush like they were supposed to. This is a problem. These two pieces are extremely heavy, so Jeff and I were not able to take the extra gliders off by ourselves. I had to call the store and explain the situation and have them send two guys back out to remove these gliders. Now I should also mention that while they were delivering the pieces, they did some damage to the piece, which they reported and were going to send someone out to fix this, about a week later. They were going to send the guys out the next Thursday and we would receive a call on Wednesday that told us what time to expect them. Jeff gets a call on Wednesday saying they didn't realize that 2 guys were needed and the next available time two guys could come out would be the next Thursday (Aug 21, two weeks after delivery!) This was unacceptable so after asking to speak to a manager, someone was all of a sudden able to come out early Saturday morning (Aug 16.) This was also the day that the guy was coming to fix the damage done by the original delivery guys. So we had someone coming between 8:30-9am to take the gliders off and someone coming between 10-2 to fix the damage. So the 2 guys show up bright and early on Saturday morning and take the gliders off. He was also the guy that was scheduled to come fix the damage. They had booked him twice for some reason. This was great news for us, since we didn't have to wait around all day. He ended up hurting his back lifting the piece. We felt bad about that, but what can you do? We knew it was super heavy. So we went about our day and later on, Jeff gets a call from the store saying that the guy is not going to be able to fix the furniture today because he got injured on a job earlier that day! Do these people not communicate with each other? He got hurt at our house, but the job was done. Whatever. Long story short, the guys removed the gliders, fixed the scratches and also noticed that one of the gliders had been removed from the top piece, but the nail had not. So when the first delivery guys pushed the top piece to straighten it out, they scratched the crap out of the bottom piece. (Are you following all this? It's kinda complicated). Anyway, this gauge is pretty significant, yet you can't see it since the top piece covers it. But who wants new furniture that is damaged? So they took pictures and were supposed to file a report. They said that they were going to have to take the bottom piece back to the warehouse and fix it and then bring it back. I'm envisioning more headaches for me, since someone has to be home for them to pick it up AND bring it back, and who knows how long that will take. I can't use my cabinet! I want to put my stuff in it! Very frustrating. So Jeff and I thought that the better option was for them to give us a credit to our account and we would call it a day. We hadn't heard anything from them, so we called on Tuesday afternoon and found out that they had ordered a new bottom piece and that was on back order! Ughhh! We asked to talk to a supervisor about keeping the piece and just crediting our account the depreciation value of the piece. They said a supervisor would call the next afternoon, which would have been Wednesday. Fast forward to today, Friday and I hadn't heard from them. So I just gave the customer service people a call and asked them what is going on. After 23 minutes on the phone with her, most of which I was on hold and never spoke to a manager, I got an offer of $100 credit, which I refused. I think they are getting off easy with only giving me $100. I know it's going to cost them more than that to come pick this old one up and give me a new one. Plus, I STILL can't put my stuff in it since I don't know if I will be able to keep this one! So I am now waiting on a call from a manager on Monday because they have to talk to corporate to see if they can give me more than $100 credit. So it's been 2 weeks and my china cabinet looks beautiful in my dining room. But it would look so much better with all my nice things in it too! Hopefully we can get this resolved pretty soon. I will post pictures whenever we get everything in it.

No comments: