Friday, June 6, 2008

My trial and travels

So as you all know, I got picked to sit on a jury this week. I couldn't discuss anything about the case until after we had reached a verdict. Well, we finally ended yesterday so I am free to talk about it. It was a juvenile case that happened in Galveston. The story goes there was a group of teenagers (around 13-14 years old)that met at Sonic. One young boy named Erick, started "flirting" with the waitress that was on roller skates. She went to take out the trash behind the building where it was dimly lit. Erick followed her back there and somehow, she ended up face down on the ground and he was on top of her. Another young boy, DayDay (probably spelled wrong, but that's how they pronounced it), yelled, "She's down, she's down", ran over there and unclipped her money bag while Erick held her down and then those two ran off with the money. They have plead guilty to robbery and have been convicted already. Now the juvenile on trial was Darian, or Dada as they called him. He was at the scene and we had to say if he was involved in the robbery or was an innocent bystander. We heard testimony from several kids that were there, the girl that was knocked down and a cop and a detective. The kids were "sworn" to tell the truth, but you know how that goes. One kid was obviously lying. We could tell because of his body language and his story didn't match anything else we had heard. But anyway, after one hour of deliberation, we concluded that the state did not have enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Dada was guilty of "robbery", so we unanimously voted that the charges were "untrue", which is how you vote in a juvenile case. There were many holes in all the stories, and this was NOTHING like Law & Order. The lawyers weren't as polished, names kept being confused, the witnesses were scared teenagers and there was just not enough evidence in our opinion, to prove he had any part in the crime. So anyway, that was my first experience with jury duty and it wasn't bad at all. I actually got to leave town earlier being on the jury, than I would have if I wouldn't have gotten picked. So everything works out. I left for Louisiana around 12:30 and arrived here a little after 5. Not too much traffic until I hit Baton Rouge. Then last night we went out to eat with a group of people that my sister and brother-in-law know and that I know as well. I then went back to a friends house and we played rock band on the PS2. I only know how to play the guitar (since we have guitar hero), so that's what I played. I surely didn't want to sing, cause that would have been torture for everyone else and I would have most definately been booed off. Anyway, I had a good time visiting with old friends. Today we're packing up and heading to my mom's house for our family vacation. It should be fun. Anyway, that's all for now.

No comments: