Monday, April 5, 2010

A milestone...

5 years ago today I had surgery to remove the primary tumor in my leg. That was a very scary day for us because we did not know what was going to happen during the surgery and the outcome and consequences of how the doctor removed the tumor. The possiblities were skin grafts, muscle grafts, cutting my sciatic nerve and a combination of these things. We ended up with the best case scenerio, no grafts and sciatic nerve intact (very damaged, but intact nonetheless). I consider this 5 year anniversary a very significant victory because of the agressiveness of the cancer that I have. A lot of people don't make it this far. I have not been cancer free for 5 years, but I have survived the 5 year mark, and I think that is a great accomplishment. I am truly blessed in my life with my wonderful husband, family, friends and miracle baby. They have gotten me through the tough times and I couldn't have done it without them. I am 6 months cancer free so far, and I hope to stay that way.

3 comments:

Erin said...

You are amazing Lauri! Love you!

ACQ said...

That's fabulous!

Lauri and Jeff said...

Thanks! :)