Monday, April 15, 2013

We have a diagnosis...

On Saturday, Teddy was acting pretty normal and didn't have a fever, but we did notice a rash begin to develop mainly on his legs, but his arms and face as well.  On Sunday, the rash was worse, but didn't seem to be bothering him at all.  But being great parents, we looked up "rash after febrile seizure" and came across a diagnosis that seemed to fit every symptom he had.  Irritability, upper respiratory symptoms (runny nose), decreased appetite, high fever (often causing a febrile seizure), then a rash after the fever has broken.  This is roseola.  So I was pretty sure that's what he had but wanted to confirm with his pedi.  The thing about roseola is I think it's a one time thing and you don't get it again, like chicken pox.  So I was hoping it was this and then maybe we wouldn't have to be as concerned about him having more febrile seizures in the future (but this was all in my mind. No idea if that is really the case). But we saw the doctor and she immediately said "hand/foot/mouth disease".  Great.  A different virus, but I believe you can get this one more than once, but don't quote me on that.  And this means that I need to be worried if he has any fever now, since you don't associate febrile seizures with hand/foot/mouth like you do with roseola.  So anyway, that's his official diagnosis.  No treatment. You only treat the fever anyway.  I think Charlie had this when he was little, so I'm not too concerned about it.  I am wondering where he picked it up from (even though the pedi said it's going around).  We went to Chick-fil-A last Monday and both boys played on the playground there. Neither one has ever played on a fast food playground before and I think we will stay away from them if we can.  Charlie hasn't gotten sick so I think he's in the clear.  He doesn't tend to stick his hands in his mouth like Teddy does and he also takes coconut oil every day so he may have a better immune system than Teddy.  I have tried to get Teddy to take the coconut oil a few times, but he seems to spill more than he drinks.  Oh well, guess I need to keep trying! But at least now we have a diagnosis.  His eating is still sort of sporadic, but he does have at least one sore in his mouth, so that explains that.  Hopefully, it will all go away soon and he will be back to normal! 

No comments: